If you compare the old and new mattresses, you’ll notice that today’s mattresses have better implementation of strategies and they use superior technology. Each year, there are new mattresses to choose from, which probably makes it difficult for buyers like you to decide, especially if there’s limited time to select. The last two decades have seen such great evolution when it comes to the construction and design of mattresses. Today, they are more durable, less expensive, and overall much better than mattresses 10 or 20 years ago.
For instance, memory foam, a type of mattress technology, has been widely used by many mattress manufacturers and even considers it as the ideal element to craft versatile or specialty mattresses. While there’s no such thing as a “perfect” mattress, we’re going to look into the popular memory foam mattresses and which ones are the best choices as well as those that you should avoid for 2017.
How the Mattresses are Selected
This unbiased review of the best and worst memory foam mattresses for 2017 takes the following factors into consideration:
- Memory foam characteristics: Mattresses featuring memory foam technology should relieve people of back pain and provide pressure point relief as well.
- Quality: It should at least match the expectations of the consumer based on its price and brand.
- Owner satisfaction: Memory foam mattresses typically receive an overall rating of 81%.
- Cost: Mattresses can be cheap, but still provide great features.
- Support and warranty coverage: The mattress should allow returns and have a fair warranty policy.
- Average lifespan and durability: Memory foam mattresses are expected to last at least seven years.
- Other unique characteristics: This may include extra cooling features, less off-gassing in the first few days, and firmness.
Best 5 Memory Foam Mattresses of 2017
|Ranking||Mattress Brand and Model||Specifications||Price||Warranty Information|
|#1||Amerisleep Revere Bed||· Medium-firm
· Three inches 4.0lb of memory foam
· 12 inches profile
· Nine inches of 1.65lb foam base
|$1099 for Queen||· 20 year warranty
· 100 days return
|#2||Nest Bedding Alexander Mattress||· 1.5 inches of soft quilted cover
· Four pounds of gel memory foam
· Four pounds of viscoelastic foam
· 1.8 inches of special foam
· 1.8 inches of support base layer
|$1199 for Queen||· 10 year warranty
· 100 days return
|#3||Sealy Optimum Radiance Gold Mattress||· Two inches of memory foam layer
· Two inches of cooling foam
· Two inches middle layer
· Six inches support foam
|$1474 for Queen||· 10 year warranty
· 30 days return
|#4||Tempur-Pedic Contour Rhapsody Luxe 13.5” Mattress||· Medium-soft
· 2.5 inches of memory foam
· 2.5 middle layer
· Nine inches support foam
· 14 inches in height
|$2999 for Queen||· 20 year warranty|
|#5||LUCID Plush 14||· Dual memory foam
· One-inch bamboo charcoal memory foam layer quilted into the cover
|$1499.99 for Twin||· 25 year warranty
· 120 days return
Detailed Review of the Top 5 Best Mattresses for 2017
1. Amerisleep Revere Bed
A quick Google search will give you results of how Amerisleep, particularly its Revere Bed model consistently receives praises from customers. With a 4.7 stars out of five rating from more than 420 verified buyers on the Amerisleep website, the Revere Bed is one of the most popular beds from a company that features plant-based memory foam.
Amerisleep is an eco-friendly mattress company that smartly uses the online business model without blending in the background with other mattress manufacturers. They have a number of mattresses for sale and each of them uses advanced cooling technology and celliant.
Out of the unique characteristics, celliant is probably the most talked about, especially as it has been clinically proven to provide some health benefits. One study even noted how celliant can cause increased blood flow in the skin through the conversion of infrared light from body heat. Infrared light is absorbed by the body, which can then improve circulation.
Is Amerisleep Revere Bed for you?
- You want to take advantage of the celliant technology, which can actually be beneficial especially if you’re an athlete. Even if you’re not, the blood circulation improvement itself is a huge benefit.
- You want to sleep cool. Compared to other memory foam brands, Amerisleep won’t let you sleep in a high temperature even though the foam conforms to your body shape. This unique feature is because of the Bio-Pur foam, which has been altered so the bed encourages additional airflow.
- You’re used to latex or innerspring mattresses. You won’t find this mattress comfortable, particularly during the first few days.
- You’re looking for a softer mattress. The Revere bed is perfect for those who want a medium-firm bed, but if not, you should try looking elsewhere.
All in all, there is no doubt that Amerisleep Revere Bed deserves the top spot.
2. Nest Bedding Alexander Mattress
The Nest Bedding Alexander Mattress is a great option for those who are looking for a medium-firm mattress, which makes it great for side sleepers and back sleepers. They also offer luxury firm and soft varieties for this model. The medium firm mattress takes the second spot as it contains high-quality soft quilted foam cover, four pounds of memory foam, four pounds of viscoelastic foam, 1.8 inches of special foam known as SmartFlow foam, and 1.8 inches of base foam for excellent support.
Is the Alexander Mattress for you?
- You’re looking for a firm mattress. Even though it says it’s medium, the Nest Alexander Mattress is actually quite firm with enough support for your body.
- You love luxury, but you don’t want to spend more for that. This mattress is extremely of great value as the price will give you extra because of its luxurious feel.
- You want great comfort that will give you proper support for your spine. This mattress can help you relieve back pain.
- It is a little bit pricy, especially if you’re searching for something that’s within your budget. This mattress may also be luxurious for some. If you don’t need a mattress for more than three years, you can skip this option.
- You’re not into memory foam. Although you could be in the minority, memory foam isn’t really for everyone.
- If you’re used to sinking into your mattress, you may want to skip this option as well.
When it comes to comfort though, Alexander Mattress is a great choice and does deserve the second spot.
3. Sealy Optimum Radiance Gold Mattress
Out of all the members of the Optimum series, the Optimum Radiance Gold Mattress from Sealy deserves the highest praise. It has received double the amount of OUTLAST treatment in comparison to the other Optimum mattresses. Plus, the gel memory foam gives the mattress contoured support, allowing the user to feel such great comfort no matter what the preferred sleep position is. It is also thicker even though it is almost in the same price range as the other Optimum mattresses. Therefore, if you have been pleased with the older Optimum beds and you’re ready to move on, the Sealy Optimum Radiance Gold Mattress is definitely worth the upgrade.
Is the Sealy Optimum Radiance Gold Mattress what you’re looking for?
- You’re looking for a thick mattress that’s worth every penny. The Optimum Radiance Gold Mattress has a thicker profile than most other Optimum mattresses as well as those from other brands in the same price range.
- You sleep beside your partner or your dog that moves around a lot. If you can’t sleep at night because your bed companion tosses and turns in his/her sleep, this mattress reduces motion transfer, so you can have a peaceful sleep.
- If you’re looking for a mattress that has longer warranty than just 10 years, you can skip this one.
- You want something cheaper. The features of this mattress can be found in other cheaper brands, such as ones from Amerisleep.
If you already used an Optimum mattress, the Sealy Optimum Radiance Gold Mattress can give you the same feel, but with a number of improvements.
4. Tempur-Pedic Contour Rhapsody Luxe 13.5” Mattress
When it comes to memory foam mattresses, it is difficult to avoid Tempur-Pedic models because most consumers and critics alike use this brand as a standard to the type of bed mentioned. The Tempur-Pedic Contour Rhapsody Luxe 13.5” is a medium-firm mattress that is quite unique among many offers of the company. It has contouring comfort with great support based on what Tempur-Pedic claims for this product. It is luxurious and has many interesting features, including a cool-to-touch feeling, so it’s very comfortable even on very hot days and a fabric that can remove moisture. Additionally, it has a top cover dubbed as the EasyRefresh because it can easily be removed for washing.
Is the Tempur-Pedic Contour Rhapsody Luxe 13.5” Mattress for you?
- You want a Tempur-Pedic bed. It’s a well-known brand and this mattress is one of their best.
- If you want a top cover that’s very easy to remove and replace for washing, you will find this mattress quite convenient for your needs.
- You’re worried about microbes and microorganisms. It can hinder dust mites and other microorganisms, which makes this mattress a great option for people with allergies.
- You don’t care about brands and you just want something simple and inexpensive.
- Many of its customers have reported that while this mattress does make them feel comfy at night, it has some problems as well, including losing support over time. What’s worse is that the loss of support happens quite fast, which can make this mattress not worth your dollar.
- You’re not happy with a stiff bed. If you’re looking for a softer bed, the medium-firm Tempur-Pedic may not be as welcoming as you want it to be.
While it is an expensive mattress, the Tempur-Pedic Contour Rhapsody Luxe 13.5” Mattress can give you the comfort and coolness you need as you sleep.
5. LUCID Plush 14
Featuring three layers of foams along with a plush top, the LUCID Plush 14 has four inches of memory foam, along with a unique one inch bamboo memory foam infused with charcoal and a three-inch gel memory foam, so you don’t have to worry about sleeping hot at night. It also has a 10-inch foam support, which gives you the support you need.
Is the LUCID Plush 14 for you?
- You have sensitive skin. The bamboo charcoal layer is especially made for people with sensitive skin. Now you don’t have to worry about getting rashes and having itchy skin when you wake up in the morning.
- You like to sleep cool. The foams used in this mattress are great for regulating body temperature, while keeping you dry and cool as you sleep at night.
- You have someone beside you. If your partner moves a lot at night, LUCID Plush 14 is really good at eliminating motion disturbances between you two.
- You have difficulty in switching from your old mattress to a new one. It’s a common concern for people to be worried about memory foam mattresses because of the recovery time. Even if you’re used to an innerspring mattress, you will find this mattress quite easy to feel comfortable with.
- You’re overweight. This mattress is not recommended to people who are on the heavy side because it will make them feel like they’re sleeping on a rock even though it is quite plush.
- You’re looking for a soft mattress. If you just read reviews about this product, you’ll find that many customers talked about how they felt like they were sleeping on a marshmallow or on a cloud because it is so soft and comfortable. However, if this is your first memory foam, you may find this quite firm, especially if you’re also a little overweight.
- You sleep on your back. A number of users also commented how they started having back pains after using the product because it is quite firm.
While there are complaints about the firmness of the mattress, there is no doubt that LUCID Plush 14 is a high-quality mattress. It is also easy to set up and even after the complaints, several other customers expressed how the mattress is as plush as advertised.
On The Other Hand
Now onto the worst mattresses to avoid this 2017. You don’t want to start your year with the wrong mattress and have sleepless nights because of your mattress. Below you’ll find the mattresses you should definitely avoid buying.
Worst 5 Memory Foam Mattresses of 2017
|Ranking||Mattress Brand and Model||Specifications||Price||Warranty Information|
|#1||Sealy Posturepedic Optimum Inspiration||· Two inches of gel memory foam
· Two inches of four pound gel memory foam
· Seven inches of gel foam core
· With foundation and adjustable base
|$1999 for Queen||· 10 years warranty
· 30 days return
|#2||Serta iComfort F500 SmartSupport||· Two inches of memory foam
· One inch of Serta PillowSoft Foam
· One inch of gel memory foam
· With memory coil system
· One inch of additional foam
· With support core
· 14 inches of mattress height
|$2999 for Queen||· 10 year warranty
· 120 day trial
|#3||Sleep Science 10” Memory Foam Split-California King Mattress||· Medium-firm
· Two mattresses measuring 10 inches in height
· Uses viscoelastic memory foam mattress
· With adjustable base
|$2499 for California King||· 20 year warranty
· Return policy is customer-friendly via Costco
|#4||MLily Bliss 15” Luxury Grand Bed Euro Box Top CertiPur-US Gel Memory Foam Mattress||· 15 inches mattress profile
· Five layers of HD memory foam
· No flip design
· With plant-based oils
|$1274.99 for Queen||· 10 year warranty
· One year return
|#5||Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme||· Soft
· 1.2 inches of 4.1 pound memory foam
· 1.6 inches of 5.3 pound middle foam
· Eight inches of foam core
|$2499 for Queen||· 10 year warranty
· 90 day return
Detailed Review of the Worst 5 Mattresses of 2017
We all want to sleep comfy, but these mattresses did not satisfy most of its customers particularly in the area of comfort. Other complaints are listed for each mattress.
1. Sealy Posturepedic Optimum Inspiration
The Sealy Posturepedic Optimum Inspiration is a gel foam mattress, which is great for people who often complain about sleeping hot at night. Its smallest size offer is twin, which is 74 inches in height and 37.75 inches in width. For queen size, its height is 79 inches with the same width mentioned. The largest is California king, which is 83 inches in height and 71.75 in width.
Optimum, according to Sealy’s website, is the first mattress that has cooling gel foam at the top all the way to the bottom of the mattress. Therefore, users can expect a really cool night and a comfortable sleep. The product also boasts two inches of gel memory foam, which Sealy claims can be felt right at the first touch because it is noticeably cooler – up to 12x more efficient in eliminating heat. It is also made comfortable with its head articulation, which allows adjustable positions, so you can sleep peacefully.
So what’s wrong with this mattress?
Although the mattress has above-average ability to conform to the body and doesn’t emit chemical odors, many consumers aren’t satisfied with this product for the following reasons:
- Durability: Just a year to three years of use, many consumers have reported that the bed isn’t as durable as they thought it would be, especially for its price. Many of its owners already complained about sagging and the base of the mattress doesn’t provide the support that they require. In fact, a customer who bought the mattress grumbled about loss of back support in just 10 months.
- Sleeping Hot: This may be quite surprising because Sealy has advertised this mattress as a cool mattress with their innovative technology. Sadly, many users are unimpressed as they complain about sleeping hot for several nights.
- Firmness: Also advertised as soft, this mattress is actually quite firm. Although it’s not uncomfortable, you should definitely skip this if you want a softer mattress.
- Noise: Some owners of the product also reported squeaks. While it’s a memory foam mattress that is said to eliminate motion disturbances, the squeaking can be a bit annoying especially if your partner likes to move around.
- Heaviness: The mattress is quite heavy with a total of 125 pounds (56 kg). If you’re planning to move the mattress to another room, you will definitely need some help.
Sealy Posturepedic Optimum Inspiration gets 1.9 stars out of five at Amazon with only three positive reviews. With the complaints about this mattress, you may want to avoid this mattress.
2. Serta iComfort F500 SmartSupport
The Serta iComfort F500 SmartSupport is quite pricey with its queen size starting at $2,999. It does offer a 10-year warranty, which is pretty standard with Serta’s products. This mattress boasts cradling comfort with every move. It has many features, including EverFeel Triple Effects, which is Serta’s exclusive memory foam. iComfort also has memory coil system, which Serta claims to the first ever memory coil support layer in the world. The coil system provides a distinctiveness in this mattress as it combines memory foam with spring mattress.
With all the groundbreaking technologies used in this mattress, you might think that Serta iComfort F500 SmartSupport offers great support. But that’s not what the customers are saying. In fact at Serta’s website, this particular mattress just received one star out of five. Even Serta can’t deny how grumpy the customers are. Among their complaints include:
- Price: Compared to other expensive brands, iComfort is actually a little bit cheaper. However, given the number of complaints, one of the most frequently mentioned criticisms is the heft price. The price of the mattress should match the satisfaction of the customers, but because they aren’t satisfied, this is a common complaint.
- Inconsistency: Serta has provided the sizes of the mattresses in their website, but some customers voiced out their concerns about the wrong size. Some reported that they bought smaller mattresses than what has been advertised. This is a huge problem, especially because the customers have already bought matching frames, foundations, and other accessories for their bed.
- Firmness: Aside from the size, there are also customers who said that firmness is inconsistent. Nevertheless, it is possible that some people just have different perceptions about firmness of a mattress, depending on what they have become acquainted to.
- Durability: Also a negative criticism about the iComfort mattress is that it sags within the first three years of ownership. Plus, it slowly declines in body support in the same timeframe. This is such a disappointment since buying a mattress can be a huge investment. And given the fact that iComfort is quite pricey, it should at least be sturdy and remain in shape for eight years.
Serta iComfort F500 SmartSupport also uses gel foams. According to studies, plant-based foams are more breathable and therefore sleep cooler at night. If you already have a problem sleeping hot, this is not the mattress to buy.
3. Sleep Science 10” Memory Foam Split-California King Mattress
If you’re looking for adjustable beds, you’ve probably come across Sleep Science 10” Memory Foam Split-California King Mattress. It is a considered a great bed that features 10 inches of viscoelastic memory foam mattress, which can give you a peaceful sleep at night. This mattress is a desirable choice for those who have their room as their sanctuary; it’s not only for sleeping, but also for watching TV, using a laptop, or even eating. It can relieve muscle pressure as well because it conforms to the shape of the body.
The mattress has an adjustable base that can be controlled wirelessly. It can be flat, it can be transformed into an optimal reading position where the head is lifted, and finally with the head and the feet elevated, so as to achieve cradling comfort. All these are attainable and pre-programmed with just one push of a button. While the mattress does have unique features and exceptional return and warranty policies, many customers are not too happy about the bed. Some complaints were centered on:
- Lack of Support: The mattress does boast its ability to provide great sleep at night. But you can’t achieve this if you wake up with a back, neck, and body pains.
- Not For Everyone: If you’re a little heavy, you may want to switch to a bed that can carry your weight without issues. Some customers have noted that they have started experiencing back pain because the mattress is only good for people with normal weight.
- Expensive: While the mattress is indeed of great quality, there are other models from other brands that have similar features and capabilities that are priced lower than this mattress from Sleep Science. So if you’re looking into saving some bucks, you may want to avoid this overpriced bed.
- Other Issues: There are also other complaints about the mattress being too heavy for its width and height. Upon opening the package, the mattress seemed to emit unpleasant odors, which caused some of its owners to sleep in another room. Body impressions are also a common problem.
If you want a bed that will stay firm for more than three years, Sleep Science 10” Memory Foam Split-California King Mattress may not be the best option for you.
4. MLily Bliss 15” Luxury Grand Bed Euro Box Top CertiPur-US Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Another high priced mattress is the MLily Bliss 15” Luxury Grand Bed Euro Box Top CertiPur-US Gel Memory Foam Mattress, which can be bought online. It features a no-flip design, which is actually what most memory foam mattresses are all about. What sets this apart from most mattresses in its kind and price range is that it doesn’t just have five layers of memory foam, but also has a silk blend cover. It also comes with a European box top design, along with an inch of phyto HD memory foam, which has the ability to eliminate heat from the mattress.
Other notable features are its 1.5 inches of gel infused high density foam, along with 2.5 inch memory foam and a two inch layer of memory foam for support. It also has a semi-open cell design, which aims to provide a perfect balance between recovery time and air flow.
The features are indeed special and quite enticing, but not all of its customers are pleased. In fact, most of them are quite irate about the incorrect description of the mattress. Buyers from Amazon and other online stores have noted the following problems:
- Firmness: Those who bought the MLily Bliss 15” Luxury Grand Bed Euro Box Top CertiPur-US Gel Memory Foam Mattress complained about the mattress being too soft for them, especially those who sleep on their sides. They also have a problem with back pain, so if you’re more of a back sleeper, you could suddenly develop the problem if this mattress isn’t for you.
- Durability: A mattress of this price should at least last for five years. But some customers have complained about the noticeable sagging and so it may not last as long as those that are priced a little lower or equal to this mattress.
- Sleeping Hot: This is actually a huge complaint of many memory foam mattresses. But with the technologies used for developing newer mattresses these days, many models that have come out over the past few years have eliminated this problem. Unfortunately, MLily Bliss 15” Luxury Grand Bed Euro Box Top CertiPur-US Gel Memory Foam Mattress isn’t one of them. In fact, some customers have a problem waking up very sweaty in the middle of the night.
MLily Bliss 15” Luxury Grand Bed Euro Box Top CertiPur-US Gel Memory Foam Mattress is clearly more expensive than other mattresses. But you can actually find other mattresses in this price range that has better durability and can last longer without sagging or body impressions, which can undermine support and comfort.
5. Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme
Tempur-Pedic is one of the most well-known brands in bedroom furniture. Cloud Supreme or TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme is advertised as a comfortable and cool mattress with a top cover that is replaceable and easy to wash and remove. It also features the SmartClimate system, which eliminates moisture while keeping it cool to the touch, so you can sleep comfortably even on warm nights. Cloud Supreme also includes a fabric cover and comfort layer, which gives the mattress a pleasing feel. It is also antimicrobial, so microorganisms don’t stay in the mattress.
But it’s not as great as it claims to be. This model from Tempur-Pedic left some customers disappointed. Their reasons included:
- Cavity: According to some reviews from verified customers, the mattress develops a cavity. This is quite disappointing considering that the Cloud Supreme is quite pricey.
- Shape: Just after a few years, the bed seems to go flat and reduces in density. Many customers have noted this complaint and this is a big issue, especially for overweight adults and those with back pain. Even those who are not back pain sufferers develop the problem over the years. This causes them to either seek for the help of a doctor/specialist or buy a new mattress.
- Smell: Unfortunately, some memory foam mattresses do give off smell, but the problem will not last for a long time. Tempur-Pedic’s Cloud Supreme emits a really strong odor that turned off many buyers and some even said they can’t stay in the room for more than 10 minutes because of the terrible smell.
- Firmness: There are noted complaints that the mattress has uneven firmness. The more adults use the bed, the softer it gets – and that’s just after a few months of use.
- Support: Because it rapidly decreases in density, it does not provide good support for people who sleep on their backs and sides. It is firm at first, but customers shared their experience about how this bed is not as supportive as the other models from Tempur-Pedic.
If you like sleeping on your side or back and you tend to sleep on the edge of the bed, Tempur-Pedic Cloud Supreme is not the supreme choice. In fact, skip this at all costs, especially if you want a mattress that can stay with you for at least 10 years.
This memory foam ranking of the best and worst showed how it’s not just about the price, which should reflect the comfort, durability, and overall quality but didn’t. Some of the well-known and expensive brands didn’t perform as the consumers expected them to, leading them to buy another mattress that best suits their needs. To make sure you don’t regret your choice of your next mattress, check the list of the best mattresses above and steer clear of the ones in the worst list.